Welcome to my blog. You will find here some news and texts that come side by side to my artistic activities as choreographer, dancer and performer.

Friday 13 February 2009

Still on unison - now from Anna

Dear Radek,

Yes, I agree – a unison takes away our individuality, too some extent at least. Synchronization decides for us. It is an old fashioned idea – two (or more) dancers moving together, a mere effect. What do we perceive when we watch a perfect unison dance? Virtuosity, harmony, symmetry, strength, logic, order? Maybe…

Unison can be (let me sound a bit sentimental, old fashioned and pretentious) joy of sharing the same experience, it can give you a place of belonging, ground under your feet. A structure you can leave and than go back to. Don’t other people and their presence give us a background, a context, against which we can define ourselves? I hear you asking me : yeah, but, not necessarily in unison… And your are probably right. Unison is not a necessity, it is an interesting possibility. Synchronization of movement and its meaning is a challenging task. Especially after all the bad fame it received in the recent history of choreography.

I believe there is a way to be truly with someone without abandoning yourself. Integration comes from differentiation, not from unity. In our duet we can become “wholeness” , at the same time strongly individual, only if we are completely sure of what we are doing, only if we stay specific and unique. A kind of paradox? Am I making any sense? I know what I wanna say, kind of… Probably I was cleaning too much and got high on chemicals…

No comments:

Post a Comment